What’s the Best Season for Home Buying?
Daily Real Estate News | Thursday, January 31, 2013
After the holidays, buyers tend to start getting more aggressive with their house hunting. Search activity usually peaks around March or April in most states, according to a new study of home searches from 2007 to 2012 conducted by Trulia.
In September, searches slow down. By December buyer searches ebb to their lowest point of the year.
“Home-search activity swings with the seasons in every state,” says Jed Kolko, chief economist of Trulia. “Buyers and sellers can use these ups and downs to their advantage. Sellers looking for the most buyers should list when real estate search traffic peaks. Buyers, however, should think about searching off-season, when there is less competition from other searchers.”
The study revealed seasonal patterns of search activity state to state. Here are the months when online real estate searches peak in every U.S. state:
- January: Hawaii
- February: Florida
- March: Arizona, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington
- April: Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin
- May: Real estate activity does not peak in any state
- June: Mississippi
- July: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Wyoming
- August: Montana and Oregon
- September-December: Real estate activity does not peak in any state
Source: “Trulia Reveals Best Home-Searching Season,” HousingWire (Jan. 29, 2013)
- Best Season For Home Buying (nevadacounty.com)
- Trulia Identifies State-by-State Seasonal Real Estate Search Peaks and Valleys (virtual-strategy.com)
- Trulia Forms Exclusive Partnership with Primedia to Unlock Rentals Marketplace (apartmentguide.com)
- Trulia to Participate in the 15th Annual Needham Growth Conference (dailyfinance.com)
- Trulia Surges to Record as Home Prices Gain: San Francisco Mover – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- ReferralBuzz Announces Partnership with TruliaTwin Cities’ Referral… (prweb.com)